5 October 2022

My 2022 Butterfly season

2022 was gonna be very different as this year there would be no trips to Scotland, the early Lake District plus Norfolk was not gonna happen, as work commitments and mileage restrictions set by me, trying to be a bit greener, although my diesel van is sold and I now drive a Toyota Corolla hybrid. All pictures are from this year apart from a few extras.


1. Red Admiral - Vanessa atalanta   
11/02/2022 Longwell Green, Bristol

So the 2022 butterfly season started in February while working from scaffolding in Bristol a fresh Red Admiral glided by.
(pic Bannerdown, BANES 25/07/2022)


2. Brimstone - Gonepteryx rhamni  
14/03/2022 Shearwater, Wiltshire 

On a trip to Shearwater lake, Wiltshire for Firecrest and a sunny day in the woods that surround the lake 5/6 Brimstone butterflies while gliding at speed through the rides. (pic Exmoor 11/06/2022)



3. Small Tortoiseshell - Aglais urticae  
17/03/2022 Combe Down, Banes

March is a month I look forward to as the early spring butterflies are starting to emerge, like these next couple of beauties.
(Pic Alner’s gorse, Dorset 30/07/2022)


4. Small White - Pieris rapae 
20/03/2022 Newton st Loe village, Banes

The Small White below is from a birding trip me & Lauren did to 

Which included: Paphos Blue - Glaucopsyche paphos


Eastern Festoon - Allancastria cerisyi

Which I had to chase across a ploughed field for some time before it stopped, but a target species and lifer!

Large Wall Brown - Lasiommata maera 


Then another lifer the African Ringlet - Ypthima asterope


But back to the Small White
(pic Cyprus 08/04/2022)


5. Peacock - Aglais io 
20/03/2022 Newton st Loe village, Banes 

A few warm days and I saw all of the species I’ve seen so far, in one day while walking around my patch, Newton st Loe.
(pic Draycott, Somerset 11/07/2022)

6. Speckled Wood - Pararge aegeria 
03/04/2022 Nunnery point, Chew Valley, Somerset

A check of my moth trap and this lovely Speckled Wood landed, taking in the early morning sunshine.
(pic My garden, BANES 23/04/2022)



7. Green-veined White - Pieris napi  
15/04/2022 Newton st Loe, Banes

The 15th of March was a good day catching up with 4 species, in this pic taken (24/04/2022 Battlesbury Hill, Wiltshire ) you can see one of the perils of being a butterfly, A Flower Crab spider has hold of this GVW, it was 1 meter into a Bramble bush, not that I would have, but could release him.


8. Comma - Polygonia c-album 
15/04/2022 Newton st Loe, Bath

A patch walk this time of year always pays off.


9. Orange Tip - Anthocharis cardamines
15/04/2022 Newton st Loe, Banes

Another from the same patch walk



10. Holly Blue - Celastrina argiolus
15/04/2022 Newton st Loe, Banes

Picture taken on double yellow lines at the dip in Pennyquick, fast moving cars inches away! The things we do for a picture.



11. Green Hairstreak -Callophrys rubi
18/04/2022 Battlesbury Hill, Wiltshire

Battlesbury Hill is a real hotspot for this species with the right Bramble bush covered, note to self must find some around Newton St Loe


12. Grizzled Skipper - Pyrgus malvae
18/04/2022 Cotley Hill, Wiltshire

Cotley Hill looks better than it did last year with re-growth starting, after the clearing of every bush shrub to ground level in the previous year. Let's hope it can recover to be my favorite hill in the Uk!


13. Duke Of Burgundy - Hamearis lucina
24/04/2022 Battlesbury Hill, Wiltshire

 The following weekend I went back to Battlesbury and found the first Duke of Burgundy had emerged for Wiltshire anyway.



14.Dingy Skipper - Erynnis tages
24/04/2022 Battlesbury Hill, Wiltshire

A good was had with Dingy, Grizzled Skipper also seen. 


15. Brown Argus - Aricia agestis 
30/04/2022 Axbridge Hill, Somerset

On the hunt for better shots as always of Dingy/Grizzled, Brown Argus was found, these in cop, on the lower slopes of Axbridge Hill


16. Wall Brown - Lasiommata megera
30/04/2022 Crook Peak, Somerset

A very warm day proved the right move plus a tip-off for Ross, more Wall Brown seen on the hill than I've ever seen from bottom to the top, from the top magnificent views across Somerset, well worth the climb.


17. Small Heath - 
Coenonympha pamphilus
12/05/2022 Bentley Wood, Wiltshire

On my yearly visit to Bentley Woods, it was just ok, whether it was the weather or just timing it was hard work to locate some Pearls small Heath flying in abundance, but my target was elusive.


18. Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Boloria euphrosyne
12/05/2022 Bentley Wood, Wiltshire

Wearing my lucky socks and pants I found some, not perching at first but, following one for some time it eventually landed for a snap, not sure if I was Wiltshire side or Hampshire side but a welcome 18th species of the year.


19. Large White - Pieris brassicae
12/05/2022 Bentley Wood, Wiltshire

A fly-by Large white was a bonus tick for the day.
The picture was taken (09/0/7/2022 Alners Gorse)


20. Small Blue - Cupido minimus
12/05/2022 Cotley Hill, Wiltshire

Driving past Cotley Hill on my way home, this time of year would be a crime so stopped to see what was about, I was so pleased I did! First, just off the main track Small Blue posing nicely.


21. Adonis Blue 
12/05/2022 Cotley Hill, Wiltshire

Then Adonis in good numbers too what a great day 5 species to add. While taking a few pictures of the Adonis I spotted my highlight of 2022.


22. Marsh Fritillary 
12/05/2022 Cotley Hill, Wiltshire

Not this Marsh Fritillary even though it was just sitting there so perfectly, but the next specimen!


Marsh Fritillary yes but WOW what a beauty, so fresh and perfect. Euphydryas aurinia ab. melanoleuca is closest to this fabulous Aberation.


For the next few days, people went to see the cracker, but due to my eagerness of posting or just the unluckiness of an old-school butterfly collector visiting the next day, it was taken and pinned!! 
So I was told, so from now on anything interesting I find on my travels, location details will just be county, well Twitter or social media anyway, very sad.


23. Common Blue 
13/05/2022 Sunnybank, Banes

A few weeks passed and Common Blue across the road from the house had emerged although this picture from (02/06/2022, Fineshade Wood)


24. Wood White 
15/05/2022 Cinderford, Gloucestershire

With Weather very similar to last year I headed to Cinderford, Wet cold, and a big bag of hope, I walked up and down the track for what seemed like hours,  only 2 or 3 Wood Whites were seen, but others on better days saw more.


25. Painted Lady 
17/05/2022 Axbridge Hill, Somerset

A 100mph fly past on Axbridge Hill tick, this picture from (Rhodes 05/05/2022) Uk Pictures (20/05/2022)


26. Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary 
17/05/2022 Axbridge Hill, Somerset

Although as with Painted Lady it was windy and couldn't get a picture that day, had to wait until Priddy, Somerset (27/05/2022)


27. Glanville Fritillary 
21/05/2022 Whitesheet Hill, Wiltshire

As Whitesheet Hill is a lot closer, (60 miles, plus Ferry and Bike Ride). 
I dropped into there for my Glanville fix hard work up and down slopes but was just about to leave with a brief sighting and found this beautiful sitter happy to pose for as long as I wanted. this year sightings from the hill were good and up to 10 individuals were seen.



One of my favorite shots of the year.


Of course, my year would not be complete without going to the Isle of Wight and
22nd of May I made the trip to the butterflies' home, blue skies all the way, my new pushbike performed well and a great day was had.

Freshwater Bay I.O.W


 Even found a lovely Aberration closest match was cinxia - salzlii.


28. Smal Copper 
21/05/2022 Whitesheet Hill, Wiltshire


29. Large Skipper 
21/05/2022 Cotley Hill, Wiltshire

After Whitesheet Hill Previous, I showed my mate Allan around Cotely no Ab's but happy to pass the halfway mark for the year with this Large Skipper.


30. Meadow Brown 
22/05/2022 Compton,Isle of Wight

Bit of back and forth I know but while on the Isle of Wight trip, a fellow butterflyer spotted this fresh specimen, thanks, Rob Daw.


While searching for this year the late Lattice Brown a few good butterflies were added to my life list, this seen before but a very well marked. 
 
Aegean Meadow Brown-Maniola telmessia

Green-underside Blue-Glaucopsyche alexis


And this, much bigger than expected 

Black-veined White-Aporia crataegi


Also added to my life list from Rhodes 
Eastern Dappled White-Euchloe ausonia, 
Hungarian Skipper-Spialia orbifer, 
Lesser-fiery Copper- Lycaena thersamon 
21 species in total from the island, very happy.


31. Lulworth Skipper 
29/05/2022 Portland Bill, Dorset

This Photo is also from Rhodes, didn't even know they had them but very fresh and good numbers along river bed.



32. Chequered Skipper 
02/06/2022 Fineshade, Northamptonshire

With no Scotland this year we decided to go for the reintroduction site at Fineshade, a long walk with very few seen but I suppose it was getting on in the season, so when we eventually saw this battered individual it made the walk and drive worth the effort.


33. Black hairstreak 
02/06/2022 Glapthorn, Northamptonshire

Only a few miles away was Glapthorn Woods, the best place for Black Hairstreak in my opinion, and the reason I left going to see Chequered Skipper so late, I was trying to get the  Black Hairstreak at the same time, it paid off...just. With one spotted just as we decided to call it quits, happy days!


34. Heath Fritillary  
03/06/2022 Halse Combe, Somerset

A day off work and good weather I drove down to Halse Combe, home of the Tick and of course Heath Fritillary, not disappointed with my usual spot full of them, gotta be one of the easiest to photograph being so obliging. The bonus was no Ticks either!



35. Large Blue 
03/06/2022 Green down, Somerset

On my way home went to Green Down, Very happy to see Large Blue despite passing people saying they had not been lucky, I saw 5 or 6 that day.


36. High Brown Fritillary  
11/06/2022 Aish tor, Devon

My new favorite place Aish Torr for High Brown was much harder than previous years,  maybe the weather and earlier didn't help, had to chase and work hard for any shots, the weather changed and as I was about to leave mid-afternoon a few started to settle.


37. Marbled White 
11/06/2022 Green Down, Somerset

Always trying for better pictures as you do, I dropped into Green down again, no full wing Large Blues but Marbled Whites starting their season and adding to my list.


38. Silver-studded Blue 
13/06/2022 Higher Hyde Heath, Dorset

My go-to spot for the Silver-studded Blues is Higher-hyde, Dorset, a very quiet but great site with probably 1000's of the tiny blue butterfly, love the image below with the custodial Ants tending to the Butterfly, a mutualistic symbiotic relationship where both species benefit from the other. The Female Butterfly lays her eggs close to the Ant's nest, the Ants then transport eggs into the nest, and in return, the Butterfly egg secretes sugars which the ants harvest, the eggs need to feed so the ants take them out to feed, when ready to emerge the ants help them vacant the nest, WOW nature is fabulous isn't it! 



39. Ringlet  
15/06/2022 Hazelbury common, Wiltshire

Still needed Dark-Green fritillary and Twitter and Facebook seem to have them everywhere so a visit to Hazelbury Common is my closest spot had this fresh Ringlet on getting out of the car.


40 . Small Skipper 
15/06/2022 Hazelbury common, Wiltshire

Small skipper next, but Dark-green's, I was struggling.


41. Dark Green Fritillary  
15/06/2022 Hazelbury common, Wiltshire

After almost 3 hours of walking around, and seeing the briefest of views and suddenly I had one nestling on an orchid! I crept up slowly, pointed the camera, focused, and gone! this is my effort for the day. 


It took me over a month to get a sort of, passable picture, very tatty, I know.

 

42. Large Heath 
20/06/2022 Whixall moss, Shropshire

Wasn't planning on getting Large Heath this year as normally go to Meathop earlier in the year, but Martin East offered me a lift, so a new reserve is always worth a visit, a short walk, and our first Large Heaths were seen, Martin was there for White-faced Darters which we also saw, a great trip.


43. Silver-washed Fritillary  
24/06/2022 Green Lane Wood, Somerset

Another friend Merv helped with the next 2, he was getting some great shots of White Admiral, so I headed over to Green Lane woods, Wiltshire. A tiny pull-in off a busy road and we entered the wood, minutes later Silver Washed & White Admiral were buzzing around, Purple Hairstreak was also seen but I'll wait for a picture to count.


44. White Admiral  
24/06/2022 Green Lane woods, Wiltshire

I couldn't get a clean shot of the White Admiral, Merv did, snapping away, so mine is from East Woodlands back into Somerset, a few days later.


45. Purple Emperor  
03/07/2022 Oversley Wood, Warwickshire

It's PE time of year, so other years I've had some great Emperors at Oversley woods, like the one below.


This year is another story, we arrived at Oversley with high hopes, the weather was not great, but that's never stopped me. If butterflies are on the wing, you just gotta find them, is my mantra! 
We did find one but it was so brief, I took this shot as I ran across the wood to get close enough for a shot, got within 30ft and it took to the tree tops never to return.
Tried Savennake wood also but missed the only one to grounded by minutes, never mind.


46. Gatekeeper 
04/07/2022 Bath mill laneway, Banes

After the disappointment, a sure thing is required so I headed over the road from my house to find Gatekeeper.


47. Essex Skipper 
04/07/2022 Bath mill laneway, Banes

Essex Skippers too, in good numbers, slightly different places on my patch to previous years, but I got some good shots and in my opinion the only way to shoot Essex Skipper, head on!


Top view


48. Purple Hairstreak  
09/07/2022 Seven Acre, Banes

Saturday, my day off, the plan was to look for my Patch Hairstreaks, remember the ones I'd found back in 2018, my excitement was high when at first I found Purple Hairstreak, around 5 high up in an Oak tree.


49. White-letter Hairstreak 
09/07/2022 Seven Acre, Banes

Then followed swiftly by White-Letters 3 seen, a record!


50. Graying 
11/07/2022 Crook Peak, Somerset

My 50th of the season was on another walk to Crook peak, similar to Wall Brown earlier in the year, Graling were seen from the bottom to the top of this 627ft tall hill that overlooks the Bristol Channel, M5, and most of Somerset.


51. Chalkhill Blue 
11/07/2022 Draycott, Somerset

You can see by the Raindrops, it was wet, only one seen this particular day, but went back.


Still not as many as in previous years but did manage a clean background shot.


52. Brown Hairstreak 
23/07/2022 Alners gorse, Dorset

My first visit to Alners was 10/07/2022 with very little to show for my effort, tree top Purple Hairstreak a tatty White Letter, so a return visit 13 days later proved to be better, for Brown Hairstreak anyway.


Had some great views of this Male 5 or 6 seen on this day.


53. Silver-spotted Skipper 
23/07/2022 Perham Down, Wiltshire

My new favorite spot for SSSkipper is Perham Down a flat, which is unusual for the master of disappearing. It makes it easier than a steep site such as Melbury Downs the follow these fast flyers.


54. Clouded Yellow- helice 
01/08/2022 Ansty, Dorset

It seems to have been a great year for Clouded yellow so I needed something different, a Facebook post showed a lovely Clouded Yellow, Helice form, A trip to Dorset birding along with a begging message on Facebook paid off, so on the return I got this beauty.



55. Scotch Argus 
06/08/2022 Smardale, Lake District

Considering I wasn't doing all the species this year, I was very happy to achieve 55. 
I had planned this trip as its one of my favorites to Smardale, started the drive on my own at 6am, and by 10am I had arrived in the Lake District, some 40 minutes later a Scotch Argus was sitting on my finger!


This is the place I've seen the most Butterflies ever, this year didn't disappoint. When the sun shines, Argus emerges from the long grasses.


Tried a few more spots in the Lakes looking for Northern Brown Argus but by 4pm, the weather was on the change, I drove home happy.


56. Long-tailed Blue 
14/08/2022 Brighton, Sussex

The Last Butterfly of the year also seems to have arrived in good numbers. The Long-tailed Blue I saw 3 at Brighton, Whitehawk hill. With many more on the wing in different parts of the country.

So 56 for 2022, not bad at all, I missed Queen of Spain, Cambery Beauty, but i've just returned from the West Coast of USA so decied to stay home for thes mirgrants.
 
Did get some new species stateside including the above Camberwell Beauty or Cloaked beauty as the yanks call it :)

Mourning cloak-Nymphalis antiopa  
07/09/2022 Balboa Park, USA


Western Pygmy-blue-Brephidium exilis
08/09/2022 La Jolla, USA


White-checkered skipper-Burnsius albescens
03/09/2022 Sausalito, USA


Western swallowtail-Papilio rutulus
02/09/2022 Golden Gate,USA


Umber skipper-Poanes melane 
01/09/2022 San Francisco,USA


Gray hairstreak-Strymon melinus
03/09/2022 Sausalito, USA


Gulf Fritillary- Dione vanillae
01/09/2022  San Francisco,USA


Marine blue-Leptotes marina
07/09/2022 Cabrillo, USA


So as of writing this with no more trips planned unless something lands on my patch, garden or close by, my 2022 season has finished on 56 UK species, very respectable, I think 
So I look forward to the first butterfly of 2023 and have high hopes for another great year. 
Best of luck to all the lepidopterists out there and if you need any info on locations drop me an Email or message. 
Thanks for looking, hope you've enjoyed the blog as much as I have snapping them.

Thanks For Looking! 
&
  Thanks For All Your Support!

If you enjoy our blogs, why not follow us on our social media:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments if you have visited Newton St Loe recently, would like to add some sightings or even if you just like the page!
Thanks NSL-Birding...